Ear Mite Treatment
Ear Mite Treatment is an anti-parasitic product used topically in the ear for the treatment of ear mite infestations in dogs and cats. A gentle, safe and potent product that will eliminate ear mites in pets older than 12 weeks. Treat once or twice a week depending upon severity of your pet’s condition.
What is this product?
• Ear Mite Treatment is an anti-parasitic product containing synergized pyrethrins (which attack the nervous systems of insects leading to their death)
• Ear Mite Treatment is used topically in the ear
Reasons for prescribing:
• Topical solution is used to treat ear mite infestations in dogs and cats.
What dogs/cats should not use this medication?
• Dogs or cats less than 12 weeks of age
• Safety has not been established in breeding, pregnant or nursing animals
• Pets known to have had an allergic reaction to pyrethrin, piperonyl butoxide or any of the other ingredients
Give medication as directed by your veterinarian.
Cleanse ear well before administering this medication. *See below for instructions on how to clean your pet’s ears.
Wait until after the ear is clean and dry before administering Ear Mite Treatment into the ear.
It may be necessary to clip excess hair from around the ear to assist with cleaning and applying Ear Mite Treatment.
Apply enough Ear Mite Treatment in each ear to wet the external ear canal, then massage the base of the ear to distribute the product.
Repeat treatment in 7 days, or sooner if the ears get dirty again. Clean the ears and then re-treat with Ear Mite Treatment.
If the condition doesn’t improve within 2 weeks, stop treatment and consult your veterinarian.
Avoid getting this product in your pet's eyes, nose, or mouth.
If you are having difficulty cleaning the ear or your pet is in discomfort, contact your veterinarian.
Read and follow the label carefully.
*Cleaning the ear
• Check label directions and shake the bottle if necessary
• Lift the ear flap so that it is pointing straight up
• Apply the ear cleanser liberally into the canal
• Massage near the base of the ear to encourage the debris to soften
• Allow your pet to shake their head to assist with removal of the fluid and debris
• Wipe away any loose debris from the ear flap and canal with a cloth, gauze, or cotton ball
• You may need to repeat several times depending on the amount of debris that is present
• Do not use cotton applicator swabs in the canal due to potential for injury
• Wash your hands after cleaning your pet's ears
• Always praise and reward your pet to encourage cooperation
What if dose is missed?
If a dose is missed, apply it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
What to tell/ask veterinarian before using this medication?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
• If your pet will need to be rechecked
• Risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
• If your pet has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
• If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
• If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
• All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
Storage and Warnings:
Store in original container in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Do not store near heat or open flame.
Do not re-use empty container, or contaminate water or food. Wrap container and put in trash.
Harmful to pets and humans if swallowed. Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing. Wash hands after using. Avoid breathing vapors.
If in eyes, flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Seek medical attention if irritation persists.
If a skin irritation occurs, wash skin well with soap and water. Seek medical attention if redness or soreness persists.
People should not use this product. Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets. Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
Potential side effects:
• Individual sensitivities (skin sensitivity, itchiness, redness or rash) can occur after using any pesticide. Observe your pet following treatment. If signs of sensitivity occur, discontinue use and seek veterinary advice.
• Contact your veterinarian immediately if you think your pet has a medical problem or side effect from this product's therapy
Can this product be used with other drugs?
• Yes, but if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when using multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if pet is exposed to more than the prescribed amount.
What else should I know?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, Ear Mite Treatment should only be used on the pet for which it was prescribed. It should be only be used for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Ear Mite Treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about Ear Mite Treatment or for the condition it was prescribed, contact your veterinarian.