Comfortis® Chewable Tablets
Comfortis's Generic Name:
A fast acting, beef-flavored chewable tablet to give your dog or cat month long flea protection. Spinosad starts to kill fleas within 30 minutes of application, and eliminates 100% of your dog's or cat's fleas within 4 hours. Safe for use in dogs and cats older than 14 weeks. The active ingredient, spinosad, is environmentally friendly and FDA approved. Packages are available in five sizes, each containing a six month supply.
- A biologic product, an ultra-fast flea-killing tablet
- Classified by the USDA as an organic substance (considered a drug, not an insecticide)
- Given by mouth
- For the prevention and treatment of flea infestation on the dog
- Prevents future infestations when used monthly
- Does not kill other internal or external parasites
Give with food monthly for maximum effectiveness.
Treatment may begin at any time of the year. Ideally, begin administration one month before fleas become active, and then continue monthly throughout flea season. Should your area experience fleas year-round, give spinosad monthly without interruption.
To minimize re-infestation, treat all pets in the house with an approved product.
You can play with your dog immediately after treatment. There is no need to isolate your pet.
Read and follow the label carefully.
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can and resume a monthly dosing schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your pet need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your pet has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant or nursing or if you plan to breed your pet
- Store at 20-25°C (68-77°F), excursions permitted between 15-30°C (59-86°F).
- Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets. Not for human use.
- Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
- The most common adverse reaction is vomiting. If your dog vomits within 1 hour of administration, re-dose with another full dose
- Other side effects include decreased or increased appetite, lethargy, diarrhea, cough, increased thirst, vocalization, redness of the skin, hyperactivity and drooling.
- Synthetic beef flavor is actually derived from pork protein and hydrolyzed soy. Use with caution in dogs allergic to pork.
- If these symptoms persist or you notice anything else unusual, contact your veterinarian
- Yes, but possible interactions may occur with high doses of ivermectin
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if pet eats more than the prescribed amount.
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, spinosad should only be given to the pet for which it was prescribed. It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about spinosad. If you have any questions or concerns about spinosad or the condition it was prescribed for, contact your veterinarian.